Detsky Mir Group’s GMV Increased by 16.4% in Q3 2021
Moscow, Russia, 14 October 2021. Detsky Mir Group (“Detsky Mir” or the “Company”, MOEX: DSKY), a multi-vertical digital retailer and the leader in the children’s goods sector in Russia and Kazakhstan, announces its operating results for the third quarter and nine months ended 30 September 2021.
Q3 2021 Operating Highlights
- The Group’s gross merchandise value (GMV) increased by 16.4% to RUB 49.5 bn (incl. VAT).
- Total online sales volume in Russia increased by 43.7% to RUB 12.7 bn (incl. VAT):
- The share of online sales in Russia reached 27.0%.
- The Group’s net revenue increased by 14.0% to RUB 43.9 bn.
- Sales of private labels and direct imports in Russia totaled a record 53.0% of total sales (+4.0 p.p. year-on-year).
- The Company opened 85 new stores: 19 Detsky Mir branded stores in Russia, 2 Detsky Mir stores in Kazakhstan, 3 Detmir stores in Belarus, 34 Detmir Mini stores, and 27 Zoozavr stores.
- The total number of Group stores amounted to 1,014 (+25.2% year-on-year), across 418 cities and towns in Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
- The Group’s total selling space increased by 10.3% to 947,000 sq. m, while the total floor space of stores amounted to 1,179,000 sq. m.
9M 2021 Operating Highlights
- The Group’s GMV increased by 20.7% to RUB 131.0 bn (incl. VAT).
- Total online sales volume in Russia increased by 42.7% to RUB 35.2 bn (incl. VAT):
- The share of online sales in Russia reached 28.2%.
- The Group’s net revenue increased by 18.9% to RUB 117.0 bn.
- Sales of private labels and direct imports in Russia totaled 47.5% of total sales (+3.7 p.p. year-on-year).
- The Company opened 146 new stores: 48 Detsky Mir and Detmir stores (Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus), 67 Detmir mini stores and 31 Zoozavr stores.
- Total warehouse space was 175,000 sq. m.
Q3 2021 Key Events
- Detsky Mir made a decision to strengthen its C-suite team, driven by the fast pace at which the Company’s new ambitious strategy, business verticals and digital transformation are being implemented and deployed. Anna Garmanova, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at Detsky Mir, left the Company effective 1 August 2021. Andrey Spivak took up the roles of CFO and Member of the Management Board from 16 August. Mr. Spivak has over 19 years of experience in retail and FMCG (Magnit, X5 Retail Group, Wrigley Ukraine, and Wrigley Russia). Sergey Li was appointed Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Member of the Management Board from 15 July. Mr. Li has over 17 years of experience in retail (M.Video–Eldorado, M.Video, Sulpak (Kazakhstan), and Philips). Another appointment was Mikhail Makhyanov, starting as Head of Investor Relations from 16 August. Mr. Makhyanov has more than seven years of experience working at public companies and in capital markets (Polyus and Renaissance Capital).
- Maria Davydova ranked among the top three CEOs according to the updated ranking by Institutional Investor, a leading global financial periodical. The Detsky Mir team came second in both the overall ranking of management teams and among IR teams.
- Detsky Mir and PinUp Production released a Cozy Autumn with Detsky Mir! – a hygge style promotional video to support the new autumn collection. A large-scale advertising campaign was launched on TV and in digital channels on 23 August, running until 29 September.
Key Events After the Reporting Date
- Detsky Mir’s marketplace was recognized as the best niche marketplace according to ECOM AWARDS 2021, an e-commerce and retail professional award launched this year.
- The Company launched its third regional distribution center in the Novosibirsk Region. The fulfillment center, hosted by Russian Post, will ensure next-day delivery of at least 80% of online orders to Detsky Mir customers in the Siberian Federal District. At the fulfillment warehouse, Russian Post will be able to store simultaneously up to 200,000 SKUs from Detsky Mir’s product assortment, while shipping up to 90,000 online orders per month. The center will be able to handle goods of all categories, from diapers and toys to children’s furniture, strollers and pet supplies.
- Three thousand customers of the Zoozavr chain took part in a campaign to help homeless pets. More than 890 kg of pet food and treats for dogs and cats were collected, as well as over 150 items of essential goods, including hygiene products, toys and pads.
- The Detsky Mir Charitable Foundation donated over RUB 1 million worth of warm outerwear, mattresses and diapers, as well as toys, books, stationery and arts and crafts supplies to large families in Russia.
- Detsky Mir supported the Time for Good Deeds annual charity campaign. A donation worth about RUB 9 million included goods that children need: apparel, footwear, hygiene products, toys, books, and stationery.
- The Detsky Mir Charitable Foundation helped disadvantaged children to get ready to go back to school, collecting and donating more than 1.8 million goods through a charity campaign – stationery, exercise books, apparel, footwear, and kits for first-graders. Assistance was provided to more than 650,000 children in difficult life situations.
- The Detsky Mir Charitable Foundation supported social projects run by non-profit organizations and social institutions in eight Russian regions. A donation worth over RUB 2.2 million was distributed among several social institutions for children, non-profit and charitable organizations, families in difficult life situations, as well as organizations supporting homeless pets.
- Detsky Mir sent almost two tonnes of clothing and shoes for recycling in the first half of 2021.
Maria Davydova, CEO of PJSC Detsky Mir:
“Over 9M 2021, Detsky Mir has confirmed its status as the leading player in the children’s goods markets in Russia and Kazakhstan. Our standout success was the strong growth in online sales: in the third quarter, total online sales in Russia grew 43.7%, while the share of online sales reached 27%. We had a bumper back-to-school season, with apparel and footwear posting a record 36% share of total sales. We also saw strong demand for our private labels, with sales of private labels and direct imports in Russia growing to 53%. We will continue to further develop our omnichannel proposition and new business verticals by fully leveraging our logistics, retail and digital infrastructure to deliver strong results both offline and online, and by offering our customers an enormous range of products and an advanced customer experience.”
For additional information:
Head of Public Relations
Tel.: +7 495 781 08 08, ext. 2041
Head of Investor Relations
Tel.: + 7 495 781 08 08, ext. 2315